Search

Monday, February 8, 2010

Tim Burton: Visionary Genius

As previously mentioned, I went to check out the Tim Burton exhibit at MoMA last week and I can't even explain how glad I am that I did. I've been a fan of his for many years but there was quite a bit I didn't know about him. So, seeing his life chronicled out the way it was in the exhibit was fascinating. His mind is so full of fury in the most artistically brilliant way. To say he's 'imaginative' is such a flat description of his talent. I had no idea he was a painter, in addition to a sketch artist, nor did I realize that he'd been 'working' since even before he was a teenager. His creativity is unmatched and his work is flawless in the most eccentric and, at times painful, way. They had so much of his work framed and that even included random items like a bar napkin he'd sketched on. They had portrayed his idea notes for his films and they had actual items on display from some of those films, as well. I mean, it was truly mind blowing to see how precise and detailed his imagination really is after having seen several of his films. For example, the notes he wrote out on his ideas for 'Edward Scissorhands' and 'Beetlejuice' were totally and completely in line with what was created on screen. It was remarkable.

As one would assume, photography was not allowed in the exhibit so I tried my best to get a couple of clear photos from the brochure they handed out:




Needless to say, this was definitely one of those evenings that I was so glad that I live in NY and have the resources at my fingertips to see something like this. I'm also thankful for the small world that NY truly is when you run into one of your company's brokers afterward who decides to treat you to food and wine all night, too. Tee hee hee...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing exhibit!!! I love the way that you describe it, too. I woulda been at the exhibit with you in a New York Minute! (bahahaha!)