Search

Friday, November 5, 2010

Race Day and Chocolate Croissants

Marathon weekend is upon us and I couldn't be more excited! As I'll be sure to write after this coming Sunday, marathon day is my absolute favorite day in New York. I really wait each year for it to roll around so I'm getting pumped up!

I actually ran the first ever NYRR 5 this morning and it was so great. It was a 5 mile race in Central Park to kick off marathon weekend and it was also a qualifier which I needed. My boss was kind enough to let me come in late so I could run and I'm so glad I got to be a part of that. I'm not sure if it was the fact that this was the first time this race has been held but there was such spirit and excitement amongst the crowd. We actually ran the final three miles that are on the marathon route, too. I got choked up coming around to the finish because I began to imagine what I would feel like next year when I'm running the marathon and come around that final bend. I'm pretty emotional when it comes to my running accomplishments because I've worked so hard over the years. It's funny to think back to when I could never even imagine running 5 straight miles yet now it's like a warm-up for me. It's one of those things in my life that's always been such a challenge which is exactly why marathon day is so incredible to me. Ironically, I ran my best time yet in the NYRR 5 which I think is a pretty cool parallel. Must have really been all the heart out there in the crowd. One other fun tidbit is we got medals at the finish since this is tied into the marathon. The slogan this year is "I'm In. We're In." which I think is super cool and that was engraved on the medals. :)

I had joked with the girls at work that I'd like them to be waiting at the finish with hot coffee and homemade chocolate croissants. Well, they did the next best thing and had them waiting for me when I got into work:
They're just so cute. :) It was a fun surprise and the croissants were freaking delicious. At any rate, it was a terrific start to my Friday and really to the weekend as a whole. Bring on the marathon!

No comments: