Search

Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Give Thanks...

Thanksgiving. Thanks. Giving. Two words with two meanings that act as one which celebrate a beautiful day and season of blessing. A season in which we focus on being thankful for what we have and for how we can share and give selflessly. (Unless you're Dave who has coined this year as being 'Thanksgetting' which just might be brilliant. Story for another time.)

As Thanksgiving has arrived yet again, I'm humbled by the place in life I find myself and the treasures in which I'm surrounded. My heart is stirred each year at this time and I often wish I could bottle the joy I feel and save it for a day where I seem to forget it. No matter what pain and hardship have followed me throughout the year, Thanksgiving is always a place I reach where I'm able to re-shift perspective and re-gain lost ground. I love this time of year so much and I'm grateful for the wisdom I've been blessed with to see life through discerning eyes.

I've always journaled the list of what I'm thankful for but this year I'm doing things a little different and writing it here. Feel free to read or not, I write it for myself regardless. On this special day, these are but a few of the things I'm thankful for:
  • Cori
  • Laughter
  • Good, strong coffee
  • Health
  • Friends who know me better than I know myself sometimes
  • Passion
  • Extra cheesy pizza
  • Crying, in good times and bad
  • Mercy
  • Running
  • Scented candles
  • My family, who are treasures to my soul
  • Peach green tea
  • My old, oversized Rams sweatshirt
  • Fireplaces
  • Music
  • The place I find myself presently 
  • Hugs
  • Fluffy sweaters
  • Love
  • Sunsets
  • Change and new opportunity
  • Red wine
  • The ability to laugh at myself
  • Hope
  • The select few who have seen me fall, helped pick me back up, and loved me all the same
How could I really list all the things I'm thankful for? I'd be here all day if I tried. I will say, with deep sincerity, that what I'm most thankful for is simply life. The good, the hard, the fun, the sad, the crazy, the unknown, the hopeful, the mundane, the stressful, the exciting, the peaceful, the unexpected...the journey. I am more than humbled by the blessings surrounding me that make life exactly what it should be, here and now. I am so thankful that I've got 30 years under my belt of experience, progress, and life. That is joy, my friends.

The house is smelling amazing and I do believe it's time for more wine. So, I'll simply say Happy Thanksgiving to all (and Thanksgetting to Dave). I hope your day is as wonderful as mine!

No comments: