Search

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Random Act of Kindness

I don't know about you but it seems to me these days that truly kind people are few and far between. Yes, I live in busy New York City where people don't even take enough time to let you off a subway car before cramming themselves in and yes, I make the choice to accept such things. However, that never stops me from doing my best to be kind to others. I'll hold doors open for people, say "bless you" if a stranger sneezes, pick something up for someone that they may drop while walking...I don't know, whatever way I can show kindness to people daily is the way I choose to live my life. That said, I often wonder why I so rarely experience people doing the same for me. In no way am I trying to be selfish, I just honestly and truly wonder how, in a city so big, the genuinely kind folks are so hard to find.

I was having a frustrating day yesterday for a whole slew of reasons. It started with me getting soaked during my commute to work (I just love New York in the rain!) and then some other crap hit the fan after that making for a rough morning. Well, the guy who comes to refresh and water our flowers in the office each week came in as I was all frazzled and asked how I was. I answered honestly, saying it was a crappy morning, but that I was hanging in there. Anyway, after a while, he came back over to my desk with three beautiful red roses and said, "I hope these help make your dreary day brighter". I was so taken aback and surprised! His random act of kindness actually DID make my dreary day brighter and, you know what? Those roses might be the prettiest I've ever seen - or perhaps it was the gesture itself that made even the flowers look brighter. :)

No comments: