Search

Monday, May 17, 2010

Less Than A Week...

...til the Brooklyn half marathon, ahhhh! I've worked so hard for this and it's finally here. I'm both excited and nervous but mainly ready to get it over with. I'm already thinking of the ice cold beer I shall have right after... 

Let me just say that our weather over the weekend was incredible. I spent as much of my time outside as possible. My friend, Tally, came to visit from Georgia and we had such a nice and relaxing weekend!

I was excited to take her to La Palapa for margaritas on Thursday which was SO fun! We met a couple of friends and we all must have had the giggles because we just laughed for what seemed like hours. Friday night, I cooked dinner for us since I had to stay in and get rest before my last long run on Saturday. I actually ran the Healthy Kidney 10K and just continued on from the finish to get in 11 miles, total. It was decent, I suppose, but not the strong run I was hoping for. At the end of the day, I have trained consistently and I'm as ready as I'll ever be. So, I'm excited and look forward to the challenge! After the run, we all went out to my friend's apartment in Jersey City to have a cookout that was so awesome. He has a great deck with patio furniture and I just loved sitting in the sun and relaxing! When it got dark, we went down the street to the best beer garden I think I've ever been too, seriously. It's called Zeppelin Hall and IT'S HUGE and so nice! It was just a perfect Saturday and we really had a good time:
On Sunday, I treated Tally to brunch at Cafe D'Alsace which I just LOVE and then we spent the day outside near the East River, talking and roaming around. I introduced her to Pinkberry after and then it was time for her to head to the airport. I really can't stand goodbyes so that made me sad. :( I felt very lucky, yet again, to have another friend come see me and it makes me feel special. So, we really enjoyed our visit and another beautiful New York weekend!

On a totally unrelated note, I have been completely sucked into both the Giro d'Italia and the Tour of California that started yesterday. Over the past couple of years, my interest in and enjoyment of cycling has nearly tripled, no exaggeration. I have absolutely loved getting to know the sport better and getting my first clipless pedal road bike last year just enhanced it even more for me. At any rate, I'm recording both events and it's got me so pumped up to see how the guys do. My favorite cyclist, Christian Vande Velde, crashed out in the Giro a few days ago and that just sucks. He broke his back in the Giro last year yet still went on to finish 8th in the Tour de France in July. The guy is a machine. This time, he broke his collar bone in three places so we'll see if he's able to make it to France this year. Anyway, I'm loving the cycling action and interested to see how Lance Armstrong and his new Radioshack team do in the TOC this week!

No comments: