Search

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins

Everyone knows that I am not a baker by any means. I sort of have a "mix and pour" philosophy when it comes to baking because I simply don't possess the patience and precision it takes to do serious baking. However, I am pretty darn good at mixing and pouring things, hehe. It must be all the extra love I put into food. ;)

I baked these homemade blueberry-lemon yogurt muffins the other night and they are freaking delicious:
They aren't much to look at (neither is my food photography) but they are so good! They're obviously super easy too or else I wouldn't have baked them. :P I wanted to make them as healthy as possible so I used fat free stuff, minus the butter, to see how they'd turn out but they certainly don't have to be made that way. I'm sure the glaze is delicious too but I wasn't in the mood for the added sweet touch. I included it in the recipe below anyway though.

(Adapted from the Land o' Lakes peach yogurt muffin recipe)

Muffin Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup good quality fat free blueberry yogurt
1 cup good quality fat free lemon yogurt
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons fat free half & half
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped (optional)

Glaze Ingredients:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Heat oven to 375°F. With a hand-mixer, combine butter, yogurt, egg, half & half, almond extract and lemon zest in large bowl. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.

Stir flour mixture into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in almonds.

Spoon batter into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 16 to 19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.

Meanwhile, stir together all glaze ingredients. Spoon glaze mixture over warm muffins.

No comments: