Search

Monday, March 12, 2012

I Miss My Lunchbox

I woke up this morning with all the same feelings I used to have when I was a kid and the first day of school was exciting. Remember that? A new outfit, fun school supplies, your lunchbox and thermos all ready to go, complete with a bag of cool ranch Doritos and a Little Debbie oatmeal creme pie if you were lucky... I remember those days so clearly and I always felt so overjoyed at the thought of a new school year. Even as a kid, I somehow knew the value of a new beginning and a fresh start.

I miss that 'lunchbox thrill'. I think we all get so far away from those childlike feelings as adults and it makes me sad. Bryan and I talk about these things a lot because I envy his ability to relax and enjoy the simplest things in life, much the way a kid does. He's got a calm nature that's a very good balance for me and it's one of the things I appreciate most about him. So, when I woke up today feeling free and giddy, it brought back a lot of those things I'd like to feel on a more regular basis and that made me happy.

After more years than I'd like to admit, I had yet another 'first day of school' and it was terrific! There isn't much to tell about today because this week is a bit different than how our normal schedule will go. For today through Wednesday, we'll only be in language class and then Thursday and Friday, we'll have language plus the addition of knife skills in the kitchen. So, we won't be in a regular, full format class until next week but I can see why after today. We had a full four hours that was intensive and in depth so I can understand the need to separate a language for the first week, at least.

Our teacher, Stefania, couldn't possibly be more adorable or wonderful. She's very sharp and serious but so spunky and fun, too. In just one day, she's brought the Italian language alive for us and, because she's so passionate about teaching, she truly catches our attention authentically. It's really going to be a pleasure learning from her!

I know that's not much of an update but fun all the same. I'm genuinely excited for day two and that's encouraging! With that, I've gotta get back to studying so I'll simply say buona notte, all. More soon!

No comments: