Search

Friday, October 18, 2013

The Faces Of Summer

It’s pretty amazing when you take the lemons life throws at you and end up making the most delightful lemonade. Sometimes, you mix a bit too much sugar in and then realize the sweet isn’t balanced at all without the tart. Then you begin to understand that you truly can’t appreciate the sweet in life without the sour. You try and try, mixing this and that, looking to find the perfect recipe. Then suddenly, all the crappy batches of lemonade you’ve created pale in comparison to the one made when you abandon all the recipes and just go by taste.

This has been life for me this summer. What began as some of the hardest months of my life are slowly turning into a sweet new season. As I get older, I've come to see that you really can’t understand the power in growth out of pain until the clouds break and you start seeing the sun again. Unfortunately, you can’t predict the weather, right? So, you wait and you watch and you hope. You hope for brighter days soon and you hope that there’s a bigger meaning in all the gloom and rain. If you can just hold out long enough, the sunshine after said rain can be the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen. I often think of flying in a storm and what that moment is like when you rise high enough above the clouds to encounter the sun. Sometimes, all the turbulence and fear becomes worth what you see outside of it. And it’s glorious.

Below is my own little tribute to the remarkable people who have been my strength when I’ve had none left this summer. These people are a giant part of the reason I’m stronger, happier and back to feeling hopeful again. Some have flown across the country for me while others have simply walked down the street. But, all of them have spent their time. On me. I am profoundly grateful for these people. Because of them, I'm finally seeing the clouds part and the sun peeking out. These are the sweet faces of my first Denver summer and the reasons I had to smile, even through the rain:
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk before me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." ~Albert Camus

No comments: