Search

Saturday, October 19, 2013

One Year

A year ago today, I left Manhattan. As we drove out of the city, I remember thinking could this be the first day of the rest of my life? After 7 years in the city, it was equally hard and exciting to imagine a new life elsewhere, nearly 2,000 miles away from the only life I'd known for so long. Starting over, no matter what age you are, is a very bittersweet thing. Change is hard. Removing yourself from comfort, security and safety is scary but isn't that what makes life worth living? Taking a leap of faith is never a poor decision.

I moved to Denver for my then boyfriend, Bryan. Although that relationship didn't work out, I will never regret making the choice to follow my heart. I would do it again even if the outcome was the same. Love is worth the risk and being open to chasing after the unknown is exactly how I always want to live. The world is big and the enormity of possibility is so much greater than us, than the here and now. To embrace that reality is thrilling. Almost necessary, in a way.

As we crossed over the Colorado state line, I caught the sun just as it was fading:
In that moment, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and said hello to my new home. I remember thinking that possibility was ahead even though I could never know where the year would bring me. Pain, joy, tears and laughter. These things have made up this past year and I am different because of the experiences I've had. I miss you, Bryan. But, I am better without you.

What will year two have in store?  

No comments: