Search

Friday, January 27, 2012

Ami, This Post Is For You!

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been so sad about the fact that I haven't written much lately. Guess what? I'm still sad about that. Even Ami reprimanded me about not writing so I officially know that it's unacceptable. That's why I dedicate this post - my attempt at getting back to the blogging grind - to Ami. It's fitting too because it's about cake and we all know what an amazing baker that girl is!

Lemme get right to the point. I love grapefruit. Everything about it. I love to eat it, smell it, wear it (mmm, Jo Malone!)... I just love the vibrant, lively, bold characteristics of it. Since I'm a pretty big citrus person all around and I adore citrus dishes in the summer, I get so excited that things like grapefruit and clementine are in season in the winter. I know I'm way late to the game on this one, but I recently came across the amazing Smitten Kitchen blog and boy, am I head over heels. The way Deb writes is so genuine and approachable. I feel as though I've known her for years and, to be honest, I should after the amount of hours of my life she's taken up with her photos, recipes and writing! I was looking through her winter recipes last week and one jumped out practically screaming my name: grapefruit-yogurt cake. Since I am by no means a baker, I read through the recipe and it seemed like something even I could do. Well, minus the panic that set in when it calls for you to 'grease and flour the pan'. People, if baking recipes aren't 'mix together and dump in a pan', I usually avoid them at all costs. However, one of my fun resolutions for 2012 is really to get more serious in the kitchen when it comes to baking. Mainly, I just don't want to be afraid to try my hand at things like pie dough just because I have to roll it out. It really is funny how I can be so good at and confident about cooking yet have no desire to bake... Getting off topic, sorry!

After I zested the grapefruit, I cut into it to juice it and I about died. I haven't seen a grapefruit this perfect in ages:
I squeezed myself a cup of juice and it was heavenly. Perfectly tangy but sweet. I literally texted the photo to six friends and my sweet boyfriend (who is ever so patient and encouraging when it comes to sharing in my food obsessions), because I was that excited about how lovely it was.

The cake overall couldn't have been easier! Since I'm a horrible photographer and do not write this blog for sole food/food photo purposes, I only took shots of the finished product (minus the glaze which I added this morning):

It really is delicious. Spongy, moist, tart and sweet, all complete with that lovely outer crust that provides just the perfect texture contrast. If this sounds good to you, check out the recipe (and entire blog!) here.

Ami, are you proud of me that I've baked AND written a post about it?! This is all for you, my friend. Now, if only you were here to try it. I can guarantee your mind would surely be changed about not liking grapefruit!

No comments: