Search

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

My goodness, another year that's passed us by. Truthfully, I'm so sincerely happy to close the door on 2013. It was a very, very difficult year for me. I wasn't sure my poor heart could recover and heal from the hurts I faced, but I find myself here on this bright, first day of 2014 feeling closure and feeling hope. I'm not sure if you're anything like me but, if you are, then closure is a critical part of your growth and progression in life. Often times - actually, more often than not - we cannot control how, when or if closure will happen. I believe that we're blessed if we do because closure allows for true, deep health and healing. I've gone through things in the past where I was never so blessed to find that closure and it's painful. I think my nostalgic, sensitive spirit is damaged more than the average person in these areas because I feel so deeply. Closure for me is a prayer answered. 

Today, I woke up with a startling sense of confidence, strength, hope and purpose. It's been what feels like forever since I've felt these things and I find it to be no coincidence that I do so today. God and his mysterious ways, eh? For me, 2014 presents one glaring thing: possibility.

Allison and I share the same love for a daily devotional book that I haven't opened in some time. She reminded me to do so today so I pulled it from my shelf, brushed off the dust and read what inspired me from the heart out for what I know will be a bright new year:

Between the Years

I stand between the years. The light of my presence is flung across the year to come; the radiance of the sun of righteousness. Backward, over the last year, is my shadow thrown, hiding trouble and sorrow and disappointment.

Dwell not on the past, only on the present. Only use the past as the trees use my sunlight to absorb it, to make from it in after days the warming fire rays. So store only the blessings from me, the light of the world. Encourage yourselves by the thought of these.

Bury every fear of the future, of poverty for those dear to you, of suffering, of loss. Bury all thought of unkindness and bitterness, all your dislikes, your resentments, your sense of failure, your disappointment in others and in yourself, your gloom, your despondency, and let us leave them all, buried, and go forward to a new and risen life.

Remember that you must not see as the world sees. I hold the year in my hands, in trust for you. But I shall guide you one day at a time.

Leave the rest with me. You must not anticipate the gift by fears or thoughts of the days ahead.

And for each day I shall supply the wisdom and the strength.


Happy New Year, dear friends. I challenge us all to boldly become better versions of ourselves, to serve others and to shed the skin of our former selves. I wish all the goodness possible for you, your families, your friends and your lives. I am so happy to welcome 2014. Here's to a year of possibility!

No comments: